The BEST side dish...
Mac & Cheese!!!
I am SOOO pumped for the New Year and more of this beautiful Winter weather! I love all the family time I get to have and also of course the great food!!
Bring on the New Years Parties!!! I LOVE potlucks and all things involving good food and good people. Don't you love the holiday season?
I am going to share my most favorite side recipe that will be the best beside your turkey or chicken or a side dish that will be the fan favorite at your next potluck dinner party!
My MOST Favorite Mac & Cheese Recipe:
- 2 and 1/4 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup (half stick) butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream*
- 2/3 cup milk*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 and 1/3 cup shredded SHARP cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound cheese cut into slices**
For the crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup (half stick) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 pan (or any 2 quart casserole dish) with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a 3 quart pot, boil the macaroni according to package instructions. Omit any salt or fat called for. (Trust me there's enough in this recipe) Should take 6-8 minutes or so. Drain and return to the pot. (If your cheese sauce is not close to being ready, add 1-2 teaspoons oil so your pasta doesn't stick.)
- Meanwhile in another smallish pot, melt 1/4 cup butter. Once it is hot, whisk in the flour. Cook 1 minute whisking, until it is bubbly.
- Slowly stir in the cream and milk. Stir the whole time until it is thick. Add salt and pepper and stir 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in the shredded mozzarella and cheddar. If it is not melting, put it back on the burner over very low heat, stirring until the cheese is incorporated.
- Stir the cheese sauce into the cooked macaroni. It's pretty thick.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared casserole dish.
- Add the 1/2 pound layer of cheese slices. YES DO ALL OF IT.
- Pour the other half of the mac and cheese on top and spread.
- In a small bowl, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in the bread crumbs. Spread the mixture on top of the mac and cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350. The top should be turning golden brown and the mac and cheese should be bubbly.
I can guarantee you that this will be the best mac & cheese that you have ever tasted because my daughters ask for this every single night for dinner.... ;-)
I hope that you decide to make this for one of your events coming up soon because it will NOT disappoint!!! Let me know how much you love it in the comments :-)