So there's this AMAZING restaurant in Austin called North Italia and ever since I tried their fig and prosciutto flatbread, I have been craving more figs!
I went to the store and apparently the only way to buy figs is to buy them by the dozen... EEEEK! That's a lot of figs.
After I felt them going a little squishy in my fridge I went into a frantic Pinterest hunt for a way to use up those figs in every meal for the next 48 hours! I am NOT going to let these delicious fruits go to waste!!!
I found this AMAZING recipe for overnight oats from Skinny Taste and I have to admit I wasn't a believe in overnight oats until I *finally* tried this one out. Honestly... This is kind of a game changer for a working mama. I mean it is SO easy just to toss it in the fridge in a jar and pull out the next morning and BOOM! Breakfast is served for the whole family!
And it's healthy too! You can always substitute the milk for almond milk, and use walnuts for extra lean protein instead of pecans. Dress it up or down as needed!
INGREDIENTS (for one):
- 1/4 cup instant or old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp chia or flax seeds
- 1 fresh fig, sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped pecans (or any nut)
- 1/2 tbsp raw honey
INGREDIENTS (for four)
- 1 cup instant or old fashioned oats
- 2 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp chia or flax seeds
- 4 fresh fig, sliced
- 4 Tbsp chopped pecans (or any nut)
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- Place the oats, milk and chia seeds in a jar or a container with a lid; stir, cover and let it sit 1 to 2 hours, or refrigerate overnight.
- Place in a bowl, (I prefer it room temp or you can heat it up) top with figs, honey and chopped nuts.
Hope this makes your mornings that much easier (and healthier too!)
Now I'm off to use up more figs!!! I'm thinking figgy protein bars next... What do you think? :-)